How to save on medical conditions life insurance
Here’s our latest guide to how to save money on your life insurance with a pre-existing medical condition.
We’re extremely proud to be the UK’s top rated life insurance experts for people who have medical conditions, dangerous jobs and extreme sports. Over the past 20 years we’ve worked with several of the top medical charities, including:
Our team of skilled experts has helped to protect thousands of families all over the country and save them money.
We’d like to share some of our experience with you to help you to save time and money on your life insurance premiums. You shouldn’t have to pay ridiculously higher premiums for life cover to protect your loved ones because of your health.
You can save money on your existing life insurance premiums or a new policy that you might need for your family or mortgage.
"This company went above & beyond to get me cover even though I have MS, I am very happy I managed to get cover, Amazing staff, Dean went above & beyond, I highly rate this company."
by Elizabeth Turner-Long - 9th August 2023
Top tips to save money on medical conditions life insurance
1) Speak to an expert or specialist – buying life insurance can be extremely confusing and there are literally thousands of companies offering life cover, critical illness cover or income protection.
There is a much smaller group of specialists that offer advice to people with pre-existing medical conditions. You should make sure that any company that you speak to has verified reviews or that they are recommended by someone that you trust.
2) Apply for cover when your health is good – many people are tempted to apply for life insurance when they are either just diagnosed with or are struggling with a medical condition.
It is understandable in a period of uncertainty that you naturally want to protect those around you. The issue with this is that insurers prefer for someone to have a steady and well-managed medical condition, rather than new or unknown.
3) Get quotes from multiple insurers – it’s no secret that some life insurance providers are more suited to some people than others, which can also be medically related.
All insurance providers have their own criteria when it comes medical underwriting for life insurance. This means that the price that you might be quoted from one insurer can be significantly higher than another insurer. Finding the best company for you based on your medical history can be difficult unless you know what you’re doing or speak to a specialist.
4) Manage your health and lifestyle – there are other things that can have a major impact on your life insurance premiums, such as smoking or using nicotine products.
Smoking is the best example of this as smokers will normally pay double the amount for life insurance than non-smokers. The little known fact is that you can significantly reduce your premiums if you have stopped smoking. If you have quit smoking for over 12 months then you will be classed as a non-smoker.
5) Regularly review your life insurance – people don’t often think that they can or should review their life insurance policies.
More often than not, policyholders believe that they will somehow lose out if they cancel or change their existing cover. This can be true in some instances, but not in every scenario, and the important thing to remember is that circumstances change.
6) Choose an affordable premium – life insurance premiums vary depending on the level of cover you have, how many years your cover is for and the type of life insurance cover.
It can be easy to focus on the amount of cover that you need, rather than the amount of cover that you can afford. Think about how much is affordable for you now and in the future, use that as your starting point rather than what you need. It’s best to have some cover that you can afford than have to cancel your policy because it’s unaffordable.
Life insurance premiums for people with pre-existing medical conditions can be expensive and can seem unfair. We agree that this shouldn’t happen and it’s our mission to make life insurance more affordable and easier for our people.
How we can help you save on your cover
We are proud to be the UK’s #1 rated life insurance EXPERTS for pre-existing conditions life insurance, critical illness insurance and income protection. We understand a life insurance application can be daunting if worried you will be declined due to health conditions you have.
We can advise you every step of the way, guiding you through your available options, potential medical questions and medical information insurers could request and more.
Our highly skilled insurance specialists have helped protect families across the UK, supporting people with medical conditions including: