Getting life insurance with Primary Progressive MS (PPMS)
Life insurance can be difficult to apply for, especially if you’ve got a serious medical condition like primary progressive MS. Lots of people with more complex medical conditions are put off applying for life insurance… but you shouldn’t be
We’ve helped thousands of people with serious medical conditions to get life cover to protect their loved ones. Searching for life insurance can be frustrating and confusing, especially with a more severe medical condition.
You might have already tried to get cover and been refused or told that it’s not available, which isn’t necessarily the case.
"This company went above & beyond to get me cover even though I have MS, I am very happy I managed to get cover, Amazing staff, Dean went above & beyond, I highly rate this company."
by Elizabeth Turner-Long - 9th August 2023
Life insurance and primary progressive MS
We’ve put together a few useful hints and tips to help you to understand how life insurance works for someone with your medical condition.
Can someone with primary progressive MS get life insurance?
YES – some insurance providers are better for people with the various types of multiple sclerosis. It is simply a case of knowing which insurers are best for you to get the cheapest cover.
You’ve got several options when it comes to getting life insurance with primary progressive MS, it’s just a case of figuring which is best. The key thing is to make sure that you’ve at least got some cover in place to protect your family.
Types of life insurance include:
- Term life insurance (family protection)
- Decreasing life insurance (mortgage protection)
- Whole life insurance
- Business life insurance
- Family income benefit
How much does life insurance cost with primary progressive MS?
You may have seen adverts offering life cover from £5 a month which sounds amazing. These are just to try to get you hooked in to speak to an adviser and not necessarily for everyone.
There are lots of options to keep the cost of cover down so it’s affordable, but ultimately you need to make sure that your family is protected. Your premiums will be based on:
- Your age
- Amount of cover you need
- How long you want the cover for
- Your health
- Whether you smoke
How can I get cheaper life insurance with primary progressive MS?
There are a few standard options and some ways for you to keep the cost of life insurance down. You might just want to keep your premiums down to make them affordable which is completely normal.
Some insurance companies will try to sell policies that are too expensive and unaffordable which is wrong. You should be able to afford your premiums now and in the future.
Some of the best ways to keep your premiums lower are:
- Sum assured: take as much cover as you think you need, and reduce the amount if it’s not affordable
- Term: you might want to take cover for as long as possible but sometimes that’s too expensive. Consider your retirement and the age of your children
- Type of cover: there are other types of cover that can be more affordable, such as family income benefit and decreasing term (mortgage protection) cover
- Smokers: if you smoke then your premiums will naturally be higher, so if you quit smoking then you can reduce the cost of cover
What if I’ve been declined life insurance because of primary progressive MS?
Lots of people that we speak to have been declined or refused life insurance in the past for one reason or another. Unfortunately, most insurance companies don’t know how to deal with people with certain pre-existing medical conditions.
If you’ve applied for life insurance in the past and been refused or declined, then you can still get cover. Medical conditions like primary progressive MS require a certain amount of expertise and experience.
Some companies specialise in helping people with pre-existing medical conditions, like us!
Will I need to have a medical or provide a medical report?
You will usually need to provide some medical information as part of an application for primary progressive MS life insurance. This is a standard process that applies to a large percentage of people with more complex medical histories.
Don’t worry if you are asked to provide medical information, it’s normal and means that your cover will be secure… any claim will be paid because you’ve provided everything.
If you don’t want to provide medical information, there are still options available to you:
- Guaranteed life insurance: you could get a policy that is guaranteed and doesn’t ask any medical questions. These policies are far quicker and easier to apply for, but you need to make sure that you’re happy with the terms that you’ve been offered
- Over 50’s life insurance: you’ve probably seen these policies advertised on TV or in the press. These are quick and easy to get and will guarantee a payout to cover funeral costs etc.
Other related articles:
- MS TRAVEL INSURANCE
- FACTS ABOUT MS
- MS LIFE INSURANCE
- RELAPSING REMITTING MS LIFE INSURANCE
- SECONDARY PROGRESSIVE MS LIFE INSURANCE