New upgrades announced for Royal London critical illness cover
Our trusted insurance partner Royal London has announced big changes for their critical illness cover policies. In a positive move for Royal London customers, there are now two new 100% payment conditions plus much broader definitions for several medical conditions which will make more people eligible to claim.
On top of this, additional payment conditions have been upgraded from a payment of £30,000 to £35,000 (or 50% of the cover amount). This extra £5,000 can help to better support Royal London customers who are dealing with the impact of serious medical conditions for themselves and their family.
Industry experts have classed the latest update as ‘treading new ground’ by providing innovative changes – particularly for customers with bowel disease who now have two levels of payment available to them.
Here’s a quick explanation of all the new changes PLUS an overview of how Royal London critical illness insurance works for new and existing customers.
60-Second Summary – New upgrades announced for Royal London critical illness cover
Specialist life insurance provider Royal London has upgraded their critical illness cover policies to better support their customers.
- Royal London critical illness insurance pays out a cash lump sum to help support you if you are diagnosed with a serious medical condition.
- There are now 48 conditions covered that will result in a full (100%) payment of your overall cover amount. Royal London has added ‘severe mental illness’ and ‘severe bowel disease’ as 100% payout conditions, to better cover a broader spectrum of illnesses.
- Additional (partial) payment conditions have been given an increase in payout amount (now £35,000 or 50% of the overall cover amount). This is a £5,000 increase which could make a huge difference in supporting families financially
How does Royal London critical illness cover work?
Royal London critical illness cover policies work to support you and your loved ones financially in the event you are diagnosed with a serious medical condition. You would be able to claim on your policy and receive a cash lump sum to help with important expenses, which is especially useful if your health prevents you from working.
As with all insurers, Royal London has a set list of conditions that they will pay out for, so it’s always sensible to check your policy documents carefully to see if you can claim. You will only be able to claim for any conditions that develop after your policy is in place and can’t claim for any conditions that are pre-existing or not covered by your policy.
You can learn more about Royal London critical illness insurance on our Royal London life insurance page.
What critical illnesses do Royal London cover?
Up until November this year, Royal London critical illness insurance would pay out if you were diagnosed with one of 73 serious medical conditions. This included 46 conditions that were eligible for full (100%) payouts and 27 conditions that were eligible for an ‘additional’ (partial) payment of £30,000 or 50% of the overall cover amount.
They have recently updated the wording and definitions for their critical illness policies and have added new conditions that customers can claim for.
Main changes announced by Royal London include:
- The addition of ‘severe mental illness’ and ‘severe bowel disease’ as conditions that will pay out 100% of the claims amount. These broader terms will allow more people to claim successfully on their policies.
- Successful claims for any additional payment conditions will now result in payments of £35,000 or 50% of the overall cover amount (whichever is lowest)
- There are now 2 payment levels for bowel disease to ensure more customers can claim and receive full or partial payouts.
- New additional payment conditions have been added including lutaneous lymphoma, desmoid type fibrosis and type 1 diabetes
- Children’s critical illness cover has been improved for type 1 diabetes, removing the need for insulin injection as a reason to claim
- The requirement for a coma to last 96 hours to be able to claim has been reduced to 72 hours
- Wording for cancer definitions has been adjusted which should result in more successful claims for Royal London customers who previously wouldn’t have benefitted
- Additional (partial) payment conditions will now equal a claim payout of £35,000 or 50% of the overall cover amount (whichever is lowest)
Based on the new changes, Alan Lakey (the Director of CI Expert) has commented on the positive steps Royal London has taken to improve the outcomes for their critical illness customers. He has stated that it is ‘heart-warming’ to see these improvement which ‘increase both the quality and the amounts being paid out’.
How much does critical illness cover payout with Royal London?
When you buy Royal London critical illness insurance, you will be able to choose how much cover you would like to have. You can pick a cash lump sum amount that would pay out to you on diagnosis of a serious medical issue that is covered by your policy.
Depending on the medical condition you are claiming for, you will qualify for either a full payment or additional payment from Royal London.
- Full payment – Full payment conditions are exactly what they sound like and Royal London would pay out 100% of the cover amount agreed to when you bought your policy
- Additional payment – An additional payment condition means that you would receive a partial payout of your cover amount. This was previously the lower of £30,000 or 50% of your cover amount which has now been increased to £35,000
Are critical illness claims paid in Royal London?
It’s understandable to wonder if a policy like critical illness insurance is likely to pay out and generally claims statistics are good from Royal London. In figures released this year, Royal London paid out on 93.6% of critical illness claims in 2022.
This totalled more than £132million paid out to Royal London customers with an average of more than £65,000 paid per claim.
The claims that were denied were due to the medical condition being claimed for not meeting the specific definitions set out in the policy. This is exactly why Royal London has reviewed many of their definitions to make them broader, which should result in more people meeting the definitions and receiving payments when they need them most.
This includes the new ‘severe mental illness’ definition which should provide better cover for conditions like schizophrenia. The ‘severe bowel disease’ definition should also provide better cover for conditions like advanced Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, as well as illnesses like diverticulitis.
There are now two levels of payouts for bowel disease, with Royal London customers who have had two bowel resections or a full colectomy receiving a full payout. Royal London customers who have had one bowel resection will be able to claim for a partial payout of £35,000 or 50% of their cover amount (whichever is lowest).
More information – Royal London – Royal London paid of £631million in protection claims in 2022
How long does Royal London take to payout?
The time it can take to verify if a claim is valid can vary, but once Royal London approved a critical illness claim you will usually receive the money in 3 – 5 working days. This will be sent via Bank Transfer (BACS) to the bank account linked to your policy.
If you need to claim on Royal London critical illness cover, you can do so by contacting them at:
Telephone – 0345 6094 500
Website – Royal London Online Claims Form
Opening hours – Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm
Royal London Group,
22 Haymarket Yards,
Royal London goes a step further for their customers and anyone receiving a claim payout will also receive a call from a dedicated RedArc nurse. They will be able to offer help and advice for your medical condition and are qualified for other services such as bereavement counselling.
Note: You will be able to opt out on this service when you submit your claims form if you would prefer not to use the Helping Hand support service.
"This company went above & beyond to get me cover even though I have MS, I am very happy I managed to get cover, Amazing staff, Dean went above & beyond, I highly rate this company."
by Elizabeth Turner-Long - 9th August 2023
Should I buy Royal London critical illness cover?
There are many features of Royal London critical illness cover that makes it a great option for many UK consumers. Popular reasons to buy Royal London critical illness insurance include:
- Option to add on your children to protect your whole family
- Can be bought alongside or separate to Royal London life insurance (useful if you have life insurance already with another provider)
- High number of conditions covered compared to providers like AIG and Legal & General
- Recent improvements should make it easier to claim successfully
- FREE access to Royal London Helping Hand support services
How do I buy Royal London critical illness cover?
If you’re thinking about getting a policy from Royal London, feel free to reach out directly to them, or you can chat with one of our friendly insurance experts for some extra guidance and support.
Our team has a long history of working with Royal London, and we’re here to help you find the perfect policy to keep your home and family protected.
We’ll also go the extra mile by checking prices and policies across the market to make sure you’re getting the best deal with Royal London. We want to ensure you never end up paying more than necessary, and we can point out exactly which insurers offer the most affordable pricing for the cover you need.